The municipality of Bragança, in northeastern Pará, located about 200 km from the capital, has a hot and humid climate. The city has enormous architectural, cultural and natural wealth, with emphasis on its historic buildings, cuisine, handicrafts, religiosity and the beautiful beaches of its coast, bathed by the Caeté River. The city is one of the oldest in Pará, known as “Pérola do Caeté” and “Terra da Marujada”. The city has great livestock activity and is the largest fishing pole in Pará. Crab extraction is also one of the region’s sources of economy.
European features are everywhere in Bragança, for example we have the Portuguese architecture of its historic buildings. The São Benedito church, one of the oldest in Pará and which was built in 1753, is one of the heritage sites that most draws the attention of visitors. Other highlights are the Liceu de Música building, built in the 1930s and the one in the Municipal Market, in neoclassical style, opened in 1911, occupying an entire square in the city’s commercial center and which surrounds the city’s open market.
Bragantine cuisine is one of the main attractions of the municipality. Crab and fish are the typical foods most consumed by the local population in Bragança. Eating abundant crab is only possible in a city where mangroves are more frequent, and this happens a lot in the municipality. In addition to the variety of dishes based on fish and seafood, a striking ingredient is Bragança flour, which has already gained recognition in international festivals, such as Slow Food in Turin, Italy.
The municipality preserves roots of faith and religion, the strongest cultural and religious expression in Bragança is at the São Benedito party, one of the most traditional and oldest in Pará, the party was introduced by black slaves in 1798, the Marujada de São Benedito, revelry made up mostly of women uniting dance and religiosity in honor of the saint in December. With their typical clothes, composed of a white blouse, red ribbon sash, long round skirt, red or blue, and a hat adorned with colorful ribbons and feathers, the sailors fill the city with color and a lot of tradition.
Bragança has an incredible scenery, its landscapes attract the attention of tourists from all regions of the country and for being coastal, the municipality has several beaches that surprise its visitors.
Some of Bragança’s attractions are:
Vila dos Pescadores Beach: The beach has weak waves and a narrow strip of light, fine sand with dunes, the visitor at low tide will be able to closely observe the ruins of the iron ship, wrecked for decades, and also the “corrals” set up for imprisonment of fish, in addition to fishing boats and the way of life of the local fisherman.
Ajuruteua Beach: The beach is made up of fine white sand, clear water and strong waves and is surrounded by dunes and mangrove vegetation. It is considered one of the most beautiful beaches on the coast of Pará and is 36 km away from the urban center, approximately 3 km long and 800m wide, at low tide.
Canela Island: Ecological sanctuary that has the largest guarás nest in the world, the Island is a more alternative option, which is being discovered by lovers of paradisiacal landscapes due to the large number of birds registered on the island.
Bacuri Farm: The farm located about 20 km from Bragança offers knowledge tourism, an experience through which it is possible to do a trail of about an hour in the management area. The place is a reference in sustainable tourism.
Ilha do Rato: It houses the largest mangrove in the world, which is forty minutes by boat from the Bacuri farm. It is possible to take a tour to contemplate a flight of guarás.
Chavascal Beach: The beach has clear water and strong waves in the summer, it can be accessed by boat or by crossing the canal on foot at low tide.
Praia do Pilão: The beach has clear waters and fine white sand and has dunes. Access is by boat.
For all this, the municipality of Bragança, which is rich in natural, gastronomic and cultural beauties, should be known closely.